India has always fascinated the world for its historical uniqueness and past history achievements. The mystic world of the East remains elusive and many come to India to appreciate what the glorious past has to offer, be it the Taj Mahal or a ride on the elephant back or camel back in the Pink City of Jaipur in Rajasthan. Here are a few interesting and unusual facts about India, which would highlight its contribution to the world better.
Interesting and Unusual Facts about India
- India has the most post offices in the world.
- Diamonds were discovered first in Golconda riverbeds region more than 4,000 years ago.
- Sridhar Chillal belonging to India is known to hold the record of having the longest fingernails in the world, which are about 3 feet long.
- The Arabs did not invent the Arabic numerals. The Hindus in India invented them.
- The Taj Mahal in India was built over a period of 11 years (1632-1643).
- Indiaâ€™s first Olympic gold medal was won by Abhinav Bhindra at the individual events (10m air rifles)
- Algebra, Calculus and Trigonometry are studies that originated from India.
- The worldâ€™s first and foremost granite temple happens to be the Brihadeswara temple located at Tanjavur in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- The Indian railway is the largest employer in the world, nearly employing over a million people.
- Ayurveda is known to mankind as being the “earliest school of medicine”. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated this form of medicine about 2500 years ago.
- In 700 B.C the worldâ€™s first university was set up in Taxila.
- The highest cricket ground in the world is in Chail in the state of Himachal Pradesh. The pitch is about 2444 metres above the sea level and was built in1893.
- Till 1896, India happened to be the only source of diamonds in the world.
- The highest bridge in the world is the Bailey bridge, which is situated in Ladakh between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountain range.
- Sushrata is considered to be the father of surgery. Over 2600 years back, Sushrata along with his team conducted complicated surgeries such as artificial limbs, cataracts, urinary stones etc.
India is a tourist delight. It is country which fascinates many people. It has contributed to the world in many ways. One must get to know it better.