How many languages do people in India speak?
There are about 18 major languages that are spoken in India and over 1600 regional dialects. Hindi is the official language, yet many people do not speak the language. English is widely spoken in the urban areas. States in India have their own respective languages and dialects
India is a diverse country. People practise different religions, follow different customs and their cuisine differs from region to region. Language is no exception to this. Unlike many other countries, in India languages vary from region to region. People from the northern part of India speak different languages as compared to those in the South. Those living in Western India follow another set of languages and so do those residing in the Eastern part of India. This is what makes India unique.
The different languages in India have their own historical genesis. They reflect the history, culture and sentiments of the people belonging to that particular region where they are respectively spoken. Let us have a look at the various languages spoken.
Major Indian Languages of India
- Hindi - This is the official language. It follows the Devnagiri script. It is mostly spoken in the North.
- English - This is spoken among the urbanities. It is a legacy left behind by the British.
- Kashmiri - This is spoken by the people living in Kashmir, and by those who have migrated from Kashmir to other parts of India.
- Rajashthani - This is spoken in Rajashthan. The folk music of Rajasthan is very famous.
- Gujarati - In the state of Gujarat, people speak Gujarati.
- Marathi - People from Maharashtra speak Marathi. Marathi plays and songs are very popular.
- Punjabi - Those belonging to Punjab speak Punjabi. The songs of this region are very boisterous.
- Bengali - Those residing in West Bengal speak Bengali. Many well – known poets and writers have made several contributions in this language.
- Assamese - In Assam, the people speak Assamese.
- Manipur - This is spoken in the north eastern region of India.
- Oriya - This language is spoken in Orissa. Much literature and music has been rendered in this language.
- Telugu - This language is spoken in Andhra Pradesh. Many literary works have been written in this language, and well - known poets have rendered songs in this language.
- Tamil - In the Far South, this language is spoken by the Tamils. It is also rich in culture and is historically of much significance.
- Malayalam - The people residing in Kerala speak this language.
- Kannada - This language is spoken in Karnataka.
- Konkani - The language is spoken in Goa.
- Sanskrit - This ancient language is not spoken now except , it is used when reciting ancient literary texts or verses. Many sacred ceremonies are performed in this language.
- Urdu - This is widely spoken by the Muslims. Many songs and poems are rendered in this language. Much literary contributions have been made in Urdu. It is the state language of Jammu and Kashmir.
India has much to offer to a tourist. Its diverse culture enthralls them. Despite there being diverse languages, India remains united.